Recipe Review: Mashed Potato Crusted Butternut Squash, Brussels Sprouts, And Tofu Pie

Occasionally I like to go to Blaze Pizza for a veggie pizza.  They recently added butternut squash (or similar) to the topping options, so I gave it a try.  I enjoyed the addition.  So when I saw this recipe, it appealed to me.

This Mashed Potato Crusted Butternut Squash, Brussels Sprouts and Tofu Pie (whew!  long name) contains lots of goodness I enjoy: potatoes, brussels sprouts, tofu, and butternut squash.  Now for those that don't like tofu, or are not sure about it, don't worry.  You probably won't even know it is in there since it is blended up into a batter with nutritional yeast and water (I use the oil free version).  If you aren't familiar with nutritional yeast, it tends to be located with the spices and can impart a bit of a cheesy flavor.

My family enjoyed this recipe.  My daughter didn't care for the butternut squash, so I am considering replacing some of the squash with sweet potato to keep the nutrition up.

If you have looked the recipe over, you see there are a lot of steps, and I am one to look for shortcuts, so let me share what I did to speed up the process.

First off, instead of brussel sprouts, I used this Sweet Kale Vegetable Salad.  As a side note, I don't use the dressing in this when I serve it as salad, just the veggies and once in a great while the nuts & cranberries.  The recipe calls for silken tofu, I just used regular soft tofu and it turned out just fine.  I also used frozen, cubed butternut squash that I found at Costco.

I read in one of the comments that they cooked the brussels sprouts and onions with the butternut squash, so that is what I did.  Just remember to add all the sage if you do that.

I microwaved the potatoes before mashing them, and tried to cook the crust for at least part of the same time as the veggies were cooking.  When the crust was close to done, I blended the tofu concoction.

Make sure to allow for some long cooking time between cooking the veggies, the crust and then the pie as a whole.

This recipe got labeled a family favorite for our household.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Calling Things What They Are Not

Who Loves You Most?

There Is No Turkey Here