Raisin Water To Sweeten My Tea

A while back I was soaking raisins to make apple strudel ice cream.  I don't know that I had ever soaked raisins before.  The directions said if I wanted the ice cream batter to be sweeter, I could use some of the raisin water.  Well, I didn't need the batter to be sweeter, so I thought I would try sweetening my tea...and I dumped all the raisin water in.



Okay, so a smarter thing would have been to use it cautiously, since I had not tried it before.  My unsweetened tea was surprisingly sweet, but because I poured so much in, it also tasted like raisins. I eventually gave up on my raisin tea because the raisin taste wasn't doing it for me, but it did get me to thinking about using raisin water as a sweetener.

I pretty much avoid processed sugar and use date sugar instead.  But date sugar doesn't dissolve, so using it to sweeten drinks isn't my choice option.  So, I usually just drink my teas unsweetened.  But sometimes, I get a little craving for something sweet to drink.  I have read about using apple juice concentrate to sweeten drinks.  I tried it, but it didn't really stick with me.

I had been wanting to try the raisin water again, and the opportunity presented itself when my daughter requested I make another batch of apple strudel ice cream (here is an altered version of the recipe I used in case this sounds yummy) for her and her guest.  This time I was more cautious about adding it to my tea, and it was a nice addition.  I added enough that it mildly sweetened my tea without the strong raisin taste, and I liked it.



Of course, you don't have to be making ice cream, you can just soak your raisins in water and use the nice, plump raisins for your oatmeal, cold cereal or where ever you like raisins.

Do you struggle with sugar?  If so, how do you substitute it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Calling Things What They Are Not

Who Loves You Most?

There Is No Turkey Here