Recipe Review: Broccoli Casserole

This Broccoli Casserole is reminiscent of the casseroles made with condensed mushroom soup, except this one is plant based.  It was easy to make too!

The family verdict?  Another "family favorite" on the books.  Easy and tasty?  What more could you want?

Here were my tweaks to the casserole.  First off, the daughter doesn't like mushrooms.  I didn't want to leave the mushrooms out because they add flavor and nutrition.  So, instead of leaving the mushrooms in pieces, I blended them and the onions up with the sauce.  Sshhh, don't tell her there were mushrooms in that.  I heard zero complaints, and she said she liked it.  Score!  The recipe calls for 64 ounces of broccoli.  I thought surely that was wrong.  How was I going to fit all that broccoli in that pan...and then stir it?  Besides, that is 4 pounds of broccoli!  So, I only used 32 ounces, but when it was all made, it could have used more.  Oh well, live and learn.  haha  I used dried bread crumbs to top the casserole.  The last tweak I want to mention is that I substituted the miso for a soy sauce and rice vinegar combination mentioned on this website.

This recipe leaves room for creativity.  If 4 pounds of broccoli seems like too much, use your own choice veggies and/or combinations.  I am considering  broccoli and hydrated soy curls.  Of course, halving the recipe would work too.

Something I am considering trying is substituting one cup of the cashews with one cup of white beans.  This would cut down on the fat, but also leave some cashews to help thicken the sauce.  And, garlic sounds like a nice addition.

Have you tried this recipe?  Let me know what you think.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Calling Things What They Are Not

Who Loves You Most?

There Is No Turkey Here