Recipe Review: Colcannon Soup

True story:  I made Colcannon Soup for lunch.  I asked my daughter's opinion, and she said it was okay.  After a while she informed me that what it needed was more kale.  More KALE??!!  Hey, if adding more of a very nutritious green vegetable is what improves the dish, how can I complain?



Basically, this is a potato soup with kale in it, and it tastes delicious.  At the very end, you add a cashew cream to provide that creamy texture and look.

According to Wikipedia, colcannon means white headed cabbage, and is a traditional Irish dish of mashed potatoes and kale or cabbage.  There is also a song about the dish.

While the recipe called for specific amounts of potatoes and kale, I was liberal with them.  I was concerned about getting too much kale (at this point I realize that was a silly concern!) so I didn't use the whole bunch, but I am thinking next time I will.  That should make things tidy, since I won't have left over kale to do something with.  Kale chips anyone?

My daughter's last opinion was that she didn't like it that much, which is disappointing because I thought it was delicious, not to mention easy to make.  She thought it was too rich.  But, I am thinking I will try it again with her suggestion of more kale, and maybe she will change her mind (fingers crossed).

P.S.  After my daughter heard the song and it sunk in it was Irish, she informed me I could make it again -- no more than once a week.  And later, she asked if there was more left.  Hmmm, maybe I need to see if there are Irish songs about other foods she "doesn't like".   😋

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Calling Things What They Are Not

Who Loves You Most?

There Is No Turkey Here