Tunnel Vision Can Affect State of Mind

Last week I wrote a little about tunnel vision.  Since then, I have been seeing other areas of my life that can be affected, like shopping (maybe a post for the future) and my state of mind.

Today is when it hit me about my state of mind.  I was thinking over a situation and started feeling lonely.  Lonely?  I have a loving husband and a sweet daughter, not to mention the other precious people the Lord has put into my life.  Then it hit me, I had taken what I was thinking about and gone down a tunnel with it.  As a result I was feeling emotions based solely on my thoughts instead of reality.


Have you ever dwelled on negative self talk, something someone said, or an occurance that bothers you and started focusing on that negativity?  After a while, maybe you don't feel as good about yourself or someone else, and the affect just snowballs?  That is tunnel vision too.  If we only think about what we don't have (or negativity, etc.) instead of realizing the blessings we do have, it can take us to a place of unhappiness and/or discontent.

So how did I get out of feeling lonely?  I started thinking about the wonderful people in my life.  I wasn't by myself at all...well I was physically by myself at the time, but that isn't what I was talking about.  When I did that, I left my tunnel and headed back to reality.

Do you find yourself heading down emotional tunnels?  What are your techniques for getting out of them?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Calling Things What They Are Not

Who Loves You Most?

There Is No Turkey Here