Our Choices Can Reflect Our Priorities

One Sunday afternoon, while I was sitting in a cafe court, I overhead someone at another table say "We went to a Padres' game last night and were out really late, so I didn't make it to church this morning."  This got me to thinking about how our choices reflect the priorities in our lives.

Something can be important to us but still not be at the top of our list of priorities.  For example, I may want to lose weight, but when it comes time to make my food choices, are they conducive to weight loss?  Is my highest priority, when it comes to choosing what I put on my plate, the food that will help me be healthy, or maybe the tempting chocolate cake sitting in front of me?

What about when we get some sort of health scare and are told we have to change our diet?  Maybe we do really well for several weeks because we are scared, but after a while the fear fades and we forget that our priority is our health.

It can be a good idea to look at our choices and see what they are reflecting.  Do my decisions say, yes, God is my highest priority and that my family, my health, and my job are important?  If not, what ARE my choices saying?  If we have a hard time seeing reality for ourselves, we can ask someone close to us for an honest appraisal of what they see as our priorities.  If they see your priorites, then great.  If they see something different, maybe we ought to consider (and ask) what decisions we are making that are not lining up with what is important to us.

We aren't going to be perfect, so this isn't about beating ourselves up for poor choices.  This is about evaluating our lives occasionally and making sure we are headed in the right direction...the direction of our TRUE priorities.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Calling Things What They Are Not

Who Loves You Most?

There Is No Turkey Here