Recipe Review: Turtle Oatmeal Cookies

Yes, yes I did just have a fourth cookie.  Sshh, don't tell anyone.  Although, there isn't much un-healthy about this recipe (even healthier with my changes), except the chocolate chips.  Even at that, there is only 1/4 cup in the whole recipe!

So you know about Turtle candies with the caramel and the chocolate and the pecans?  This is what inspired the recipe author, except she turned a candy into a decently healthy dessert with oats and dates.

So here are my changes.  I couldn't find my pecans in the freezer, so I substituted with walnuts.  I would like to try these again with pecans, but hey, there were cookies to be made!  I also substituted the sugar with date sugar...that just amped up the nutrition!  I used semi-sweet chocolate chips instead of dark chocolate.  My last swap was replacing the oil with applesauce, and that just knocked some fat out of these babies.

Some might be wondering how plant based the chocolate chips are, and of course they aren't a health food.  But, as I mentioned, this recipe only calls for 1/4 cup between 16 cookies (I got more than 16 though!).  You can stick the rest of the chocolate chips in the freezer and pull them out for the special occasion recipe.  The brand I use is Enjoy Life.  They only have three ingredients:  sugar, cocoa, and cocoa butter.

UPDATE:  My daughter made these for her teachers with my substitutions, except she used brown sugar like the recipe called for.  They turned out even better in appearance, and of course were yummy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Calling Things What They Are Not

Who Loves You Most?

There Is No Turkey Here